Frequently Asked Questions
1. How many orders per person?
It is usually one order of stone crabs per person.
2. Are the stone crab claws cracked?
When we ship stone crabs they are not cracked, so that they can stay fresh for a longer period of time.
3. How do you crack the stone crab claws?
Cracking instructions are located on our web site and included with the bibs in your package. Do not crack the stone crab claws until you are ready to eat them.
4. How long will the stone crabs last?
The stone crabs will last up to 48 hours uncracked, but are best if you eat them the day you receive your package.
5. How do we keep the stone crab claws until we eat them?
The stone crab claws should be completely unpacked from all bags and kept uncracked in the refrigerator. You may also put them in the refrigerator in a container with ice over them.
6. Where are the stone crabs caught?
Stone crabs are caught in the Florida Keys. Please see the rest of our web site for more information.
7. How do I cook the stone crab claws?
The stone crab claws are ready to eat and are cooked at the fish house prior to shipment.
8. How many stone crab claws per order?
The large are five claws per order, the select seven claws per order and the medium eight per order. Jumbo, when available, are 4 per order. You multiply the number of claws by the number of orders you have to get the total number of claws you will receive.
9. Do you ship out of the country?
We do not ship out of the country because the items we ship are perishable.
10. How much do the orders weigh?
An order of jumbo is approximately one and half pounds large is approximately one and a quarter pound an order of selects are approximately just over a pound and an order of mediums are a pound.
11. What do I do with the key lime pie?
First discard the dry ice, but do not touch it with bare hands. The key lime pie should be kept frozen and should be taken out of the freezer about twenty minutes before you are going to eat it. It is best to consume within 3 weeks to insure the best flavor and quality.
12. Are the stone crabs packed in wet or dry ice?
The stone crabs and side items are packed in wet ice. Only the key lime pie is packed in dry ice.
13. What time will I get my package by?
Normal delivery time is usually between 9:00am-12:00pm, by 4:30pm in some areas. Please check your zip code on our order page. Times may vary during holidays.
14. What do I do with the cream spinach?
*IF YOUR PACKAGE INCLUDES IT. The cream spinach can be heated in the microwave on high for two to four minutes, or on the stovetop on medium to low heat stirring frequently for ten to fifteen minutes.
15. What do I do with the Cole slaw?
*IF YOUR PACKAGE INCLUDES IT. The Cole slaw is ready to eat, just add your mayonnaise and relish to taste.
16. What do I do with the clam chowder?
*IF YOUR PACKAGE INCLUDES IT. The clam chowder can be heated in the microwave on high for two to four minutes, or on the stovetop on medium to low heat stirring frequently for ten to fifteen minutes.
17. How do I redeem Affinity Points?
In order to redeem points, you must call or e-mail customer service at 800-780-2722 or email@example.com. You cannot redeem points online. You only receive points for orders that have already shipped. Points are redeemed in 500 point increments. Each 500 points is equal to a $25 gift card or a $25 credit on a FUTURE shipping order. The maxiumum points redeemable in a calendar year is 10,000. Please be sure to clarify which type of redemption you are choosing. All points will be redeemed on the next business day.
18. How do I redeem a gift card?
You can redeem a gift card directly online or by phone.
19. How can I be sure my order completed?
Once your order completes, you will receive an order number and most importantly a confirmation e-mail from us with your order details. If you do not receive a confirmation e-mail, a). your order did not complete or b). you did not supply a valid e-mail address. Please be sure you are using a valid e-mail address and/or call us at 1-800-780-2722 before placing a second order. You can check order confirmation online by logging into your account and clicking on the "My Orders" link in the "My Account" Dashboard. Please contact customer service at 1-800-780-2722 or at firstname.lastname@example.org with any ordering problems.
20. What if I want to cancel my order?
Order cancellations must be made at least 24 hours before the shipping date. Please contact customer service at 1-800-780-2722 or at email@example.com
21. What iif no one is available when the Federal Express driver tries to deliver?
Federal Express allows packages to be left at a location without someone having to physically sign for them. This allows for a delivery in case no one is available to sign for packages. FedEx reserves the right to NOT leave the package if the driver feels the location is unsuitable/not safe. Fedex will then take the package back to the station for pick up. In addition, the driver must have all information for access (ie business name, gate or accesss code, suite/apt number etc).
22. When will my credit card be charged for the order?
Your card is charged the day of the order.
Affinity Points Program Terms and Conditions
1. Crab Points are available to qualifying purchases of "Joe's Shipping Department".
2. In order to receive Crab Points you must register and order online. Address changes, name changes and account transfers must be done in writing , with the necessary supporting documents.
3. You will be awarded 1 Crab Point for each $1.00 spent. A credit card receipt will serve as confirmation that the points were credited to the account. Unfortunately, computer system glitches may cause errors and your receipt balance may not be totally accurate. These errors or discrepancies may be handled at customer service at 1-800-780-2722.
4. Only the person who placed the order may earn points. Crab Points will not be issued for gift certificates purchases.
5. When redeeming Crab Points, you must notify customer service. All Crab Points are done on a scale of 5%. The minimum amount allowed to be used is 500 points for a gift certificate of $25.00. The maxium amount of points redeemable per calendar year is 10,000. All redemption must be done in increments of 500 or 1000 points at a time. These points are redeemed through customer service. Your point balance will automatically be removed from your account and a gift certificate will be printed and sent to you. Crab Points are nontransferable.
6. Joe's Shipping Department reserves the right, at their sole discretion to terminate, change, add, alter, modify, or limit the Crab Point rules, regulations, terms and conditions. Including but not limited to: imposing time limits , changes in point value, rewards and reward levels, all without prior notice at any time.
7. Except where required by law or provided in the program rules, Crab Points will have no cash value. Points are surrendered for certificate only. In certain jurisdictions, where required by law, Crab Points will be deemed to have a cash value not to exceed one twentieth of a cent.
8. Joe's Shipping Department reserves the right to discontinue membership privileges and or void all or a portion of a members balance if the points have been issued, received or redeemed through computer error, fraud, or theft, through illegal means or in a manner not authorized in the official rules and conditions or in other current program rules. These rights are in addition to any other legal or equitable remedy, which may be available to the Crab Points program under applicable law.
9. We will e-mail and occasionally send mailings to Crab Point members with new items, and offers regarding the Crab Point program. If you prefer not to receive such mailings, please call customer service at 1-800-780-2722 or notify us online at firstname.lastname@example.org.
All Joe's Stone Crab products except the key lime pie, are packed in wet ice, the pie is shipped frozen in dry ice. All items except the pie must be refrigerated, the pie should be kept frozen. . Because all of our food products are perishable, they must be stored in your refrigerator and eaten no later than the day after you recive them. Joe's stone crabs must be refrigerated in an uncovered bowl, uncracked. So, please don't crack more claws than you can eat.
Joe's Stone Crabs are available fresh during Stone Crab season only. The season begins on October 15 and ends on May 15. During the summer months, we offer a superior quality, previously frozen claw that arrives ready to eat. All packages, except the A La Carte, include Joe's signature cracking board, mallet and cocktail forks.
Joe's Stone Crab Claws arrive cold, ready to crack and serve. All deliveries are sent by FedEx Overnight, which are delivered between 9am & 12pm, some areas by 4:30pm, weather permitting. For next day service, place your order by 12 Noon the day prior to delivery, during regualr season, or by 10am from mid May to mid Oct. (order lead times may vary during holidays). All pricing includes shipping and handling. There is an additional charge for Saturday deliveries (if available in your area).
Joe's accepts American Express, Visa, Mastercard, and Discover.
Order cancellations must be made at least 24 hours before the shipping date
All Joe's shipments are expertly packed following the HAACP guidelines to preserve freshness and assure that your order arrives in perfect condition. Joe's helps preserve the environment by using Expanded Polystyrene Foam (EPS) which does not contain any ozone-depleting CFC's. You can help Joe's preserve the environment by recycling the EPS foam. For recycling information in your area, call 1-800-944-8448.